This is part science and part dessert recipe that kids can do in quarantine. You can change up the flavour by adding whatever you have in your pantry. We did strawberry flavoured ice cream in a bag using ingredients we have, but feel free to mix it up with other flavours like chocolate (using chocolate syrup or hot cocoa mix) or plain vanilla.
What you’ll need:
- 2 resealable bags – one bigger than the other
- Gloves or tea towel
- Nesquik Strawberry
- Condensed Milk
- Frozen Strawberries
What you need to do:
- Mix cream and condensed milk together. If you do not have condensed milk, you can use caster sugar instead.
- Chop up frozen strawberries to add them.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of Nesquik Strawberry, depends on your sweetness preference.
4. Put it in the smaller zip bag
5. In the bigger resealable bag, put a lot of ice in — enough to cover all sides of the smaller bag when you put it in. Pour salt on top of the ice, you’ll need about half a cup.
6. Put in the smaller bag with the ice cream mixture. Shake it for about 10 minutes. You can wear gloves or cover the big bag with the tea towel so you can massage it so the ice moves around the bag and all over the smaller bag.
7. Your yummy strawberry ice cream is done!
The science behind it:
This is a great way to teach kids about freezing point (and how salt lowers this when combined with water) and phases of matter (liquid to solid).