Pretzels are an easy and versatile baking recipe you can do at home. The pretzel base is soft and chewy. Plus, you have can decide to make it sweet or savory, depending on what your kids prefer to eat.
- 1cup warm milk
- 1tbsp yeast
- 2tbsp sugar
- 2tbsp softened butter
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
For Soda Bath:
- 2.5 cups warm or hot water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
How to do it:
1. Make the yeast solution of milk, yeast and sugar, proof for 10mins
2. Incorporate the flour by slowly mixing it in.
3. Add the butter and salt. Do not overmix
4. Knead dough for 5mins until smooth. Do not overknead.
5. Let the dough rise by covering in a warm place for 1 hour.
6. Cut in 6 parts, roll about 36cm long, shape into a pretzel, dunk in soda bath (warm)
7. Brush with eggwash or beaten egg yolk only.
8. In a preheated oven, bake for 450 F or 250 C for 10mins.
9. Optional: right after baking, brush with melted honey butter or melted butter and cinnamon sugar.