If it seems like your kids are snacking a million times a day while in lockdown, don’t worry, you’re not alone! We’ve been dealing with the daily demand ourselves so coming up with fun and easy-to-do recipes is a must while in quarantine.
This one is a classic for parties. Pigs in a blanket are basically cocktail hotdogs or mini sausages wrapped in pastry and baked. The end result of this recipe should be a pastry that is soft and chewy inside and has a bit of a crunch on the outside.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp dry activated yeast
- 1 tsbp sugar
- 1 whole egg
- *2 cups flour
- 2 tsbp butter
- Cocktail hotdogs
Optional but highly recommended:
- Egg wash (1 beaten egg plus a splash of water)
- Honey butter (optional, melt 2 tbsps butter and add 1 tbsp honey)
How to do it:
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Knead for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rest for 45 minutes.
- Get about 2 tablespoon’s worth of dough, stretch it out and wrap it like a blanket around one cocktail hotdog. Repeat for the rest of your cocktail hotdogs.
- Brush with egg wash before baking.
- Bake at 420 F or 215 C for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Brush with honey butter after it bakes.
*Just a quick note on the flour, you can increase this to 2.5 cups if it feels too sticky. We found that in high elevation countries (like New Zealand), we had to tweak the recipe a bit.