This is an activity you can do with just 3 things: a resealable bag, a sharp pencil or a bamboo skewer and water. It’s a great way to discuss what things are made of. In the case of this seemingly magical bag, polymers are at work to seal the plastic around the hole and prevent it from leaking after being poked through with a sharp object.
What you’ll need:
- A zip bag / resealable bag
- Pencils or bamboo skewers
How to do it:
- Fill half your bag with water
2. Seal it
3. Have your kids come up with a hypothesis of what would happen if you poke something sharp — like a pencil or a bamboo skewer through the bag. Will the water leak out?
4. Poke the bag all the way through to the other side and see what happens.
Here’s a video of how we did it: