One of our favourite easy-to-make snack recipes is Rice Krispie Treats. While it is hard to find Kellogg’s Rice Krispies in our part of the world (New Zealand), it is not impossible! I also just discovered an alternative to Rice Krispies, a locally produced rice puff cereal called Rice Snaps, which works just as well. You can try this simple recipe with any puffed rice cereal, too. Kids will definitely enjoy it.
Here’s what you need:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups marshmallows
- 6 cups puffed riced cereal (Kellogg’s Rice Krispies work best)
- Square pan coated with cooking spray or lined with wax paper
How to make it:
- In a large non-stick pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add in the marshmallows and stir until it is melted. Remove from heat.
- Add in the puffed rice cereal and mix in with the melted marshmallows.
- While it is warm, transfer to your square pan and press the mixture down. Cut into 2-inch squares.
This is best when served right after making them. If you need to store them, keep in an airtight container.