This is an easy experiment to do at home which such amazing results. Younger children may need adult supervision as it uses hot water. You will need the following:
- Clear glass bottle with a lid
- Hot water (about half a cup, depends on the size of your bottle)
- A few ice cubes
- blue food colouring
- hair spray or dry shampoo (aerosol disinfectant also works)
How to do it:
- Fill your glass bottle halfway with the hot water. Be careful when doing this and ask for an adult’s help if you need it.
- Add in 2 to 3 drops of blue food colouring.
- Quickly cover it with the lid that’s been turned over.
- Spray with the hair spray / dry shampoo or aerosol disinfectant and cover it with the turned over lid again.
- Add the ice on top.
- Watch the clouds form!
Science behind it:
The heat from the hot water condenses when it hits the lid which has the ice. The hair spray adds in the nuclei for the water vapor particles to cling to so you can see it.
Watch how we did it in this video: